Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up to CDR

2009-05-11 15:35:58
Subject: Re: Backing up to CDR
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 15:11:17 -0400
wrote:
>> Most backup sessions result in outputs that would handily exceed the 700mb
>> of a cdr, so it would be a nice coding exercise but far more expensive
>> than a commodity hard drive.  Mine even exceed a dual layer dvd, so I've
>> never made the investment in the disks to try it.  Other situations might
>> be more amenable I suppose, but the utility of truly archival storage and
>> cdr in the same sentence would seem to be an oxymoron since some cd
>> formats go away well before their time.
>
>If you want to put your vtapes onto CDRs, you use 700mb vtapes, and
>set runtapes > 1.
>
>I'm sure folks looking for truly archival storage know the
>implications of their choice of media.  A CDR is certainly portable,
>and will not be unreadable within the next year or two.  Heck, I can
>still read 3.5" floppies..
>
>Dustin

Chuckle, and I am still booting from 5.25" disks on another legacy system I
keep functional in the basement.  And it has had some of the modern 3.5-ers
retrofitted too. :)  Twould be nice if I could get amanda to build on it, but
neither perl nor python is available on it, just a pre-89 C, a truebasic
lookalike, pascal, early 4th, and my fav, assembly.  My foot prints are in the
OS for it too.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Fats Loves Madelyn.