Amanda-Users

Re: move archives to new tapes

2008-12-08 14:50:23
Subject: Re: move archives to new tapes
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:58:21 -0500
On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 01:15:21PM +0100, Sven Rudolph wrote:
> Nick Brockner <nbrockne AT hamilton DOT edu> writes:
>
> > I have an interesting problem.  I have old archive tapes on DAT72
> > tapes which I need to move over to my new LTO3 tapes.  The dat72
> > changer is on a different server than the new lto3 changer.
> >
> > What is the best way to migrate the data?
>
> Probably not the best way, but I'll try to describe what I do:
>
> I copy the old tapes to disk, each in a separate directory named 1, 2
> and so on. Each "tape file" (the things separated by "file marks") is
> copied into on disk file, they are numbered too. Example:
>
>   mkdir 1
>   cd 1
>
>   n=0
>
>   while dd if=$TAPE bs=32k of="$(printf '%03d' $n)"
>   do
>         n=$((n+1))
>   done
>
> When I copied enough tapes that will fit on a new tape, I do some
> checking, and after that I write the files to a new tape:
>
>   for f in */*
>   do
>         dd if=$f of=$TAPE bs=32k conv=sync
>   done
>
> Afterwards some more checking...
>
> The resulting tape can be used with amrecover, but you can not use the
> "amrecover_do_fsf" and "amrecover_check_label" options, because the
> amanda database does not know the file positions of the new tape. Its
> OK for me, restores from these old tapes are very rare.
>
> I started using this with DLT-IV (35 GB), and now I use LTO-4 (800
> GB), so one new tape replaces more than ten old tapes.

Interesting Sven,  I'm trying to wrap my mind around how a
typical amrecover session would work.  Suppose I've used
amrecover to mark several files/directories for recovery.
Amrecover then uses its index and suppose it says that
tape "old-7" is needed.  I consult my migration TOC and
see that tape "old-7" is one of the tapes migrated to
tape "new-2".  So I put tape "new-2" in the drive.

What happens next?
Or are my assumptions of the steps to this point faulty?

jl
 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)