Amanda-Users

LTO-4 tapetype and blocksize

2008-10-21 12:28:10
Subject: LTO-4 tapetype and blocksize
From: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
To: AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:22:49 -0400
Hi,

Just got a new HP LTO-4 tape drive and I've done some testing
to get a tapetype entry for it and I don't see much of a difference
between the default (32k) and higher values like 512k, 1024k and
2048k (see below). What are your experiences wrt to a specific choice
of a blocksize for such a drive?

Also: I have LTO-3 tapes written with a blocksize of 32k:
will I be able to extract data from them using a different blocksize?

./amtapetype -e 800G -f /dev/nst0
define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
    comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression off)"
    length 772096 mbytes
    filemark 0 kbytes
    speed 95148 kps
}

./amtapetype -o -e 800G -b 512k -f /dev/nst0
define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
    comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression on)"
    length 772096 mbytes
    filemark 0 kbytes
    speed 101807 kps
}

./amtapetype -o -e 800G -b 1024k -f /dev/nst0
define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
    comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression on)"
    length 772096 mbytes
    filemark 0 kbytes
    speed 102261 kps
}

./amtapetype -o -e 800G -b 2048k -f /dev/nst0
define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
    comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression on)"
    length 772096 mbytes
    filemark 0 kbytes
    speed 102094 kps
}