Amanda-Users

RE: Tape drives -- Recommendations?

2008-10-15 18:51:59
Subject: RE: Tape drives -- Recommendations?
From: "Dmitri Joukovski" <dj AT zmanda DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:10:55 -0700
LTO is the most commonly used tape drive technology among Amanda users. When
we conducted an extensive survey of Amanda usage, almost 40% of
respondents said they use LTO tape drives:
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Results_of_Amanda_Users_Survey_2006

Considering the price difference between LTO4 ($4,600 per drive and $100 per
tape) and LTO 3 ($2,700 per drive and $50 per tape), I would go with LTO3
because you get the same price per GB of data on tape, but spend less money
upfront with LTO3.

You can get an excellent StorageTek SL24 (24 tape slots) autoloader for
$7,000 from Sun, and you can try it for 60 days before buying. A similar LTO
autoloader from Dell would cost you around $5,000 if you catch a sale.
However, Dell does not offer a trial, and people often mention less than
positive experience with Dell's support, especially for non-server and
OEM-ed products, e.g. printers or autoloaders.

Regards
Dmitri Joukovski