Amanda-Users

Re: `include list' question

2008-10-13 08:24:33
Subject: Re: `include list' question
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:18:51 +0200
On 2008-10-13 13:55, Jukka Salmi wrote:
Hello,

while reading amanda.conf(5) I noticed the following comment about the
`include' dumptype option:

  All include expressions are expanded by Amanda, concatenated in one
  file and passed to GNU-tar as a --files-from argument. They must
  start with "./" and contain no other "/".

I've been using include lists for a long time now, but some of them
do contain lines with slashes after the starting `./'; this seems to
work fine, though.

So, why are slashes forbidden?

Amanda needs to pass these strings to the gnutar option "--files-from"
and gnutar does not do globbing expansion on those strings (as opposed to
the --exclude option, where gnutar will do globbing).
Therefor Amanda does the globbing before passing the result of the glob
to gnutar.
And for this globbing to work (and still be efficient), Amanda restricts
itself to the toplevel directory (./some*thing) only.
However, as boundary case, if the path contains more than one slash,
then the loplevel globbing will not work, but Amanda will pass these strings
unmodified to gnutar; and there you can get away with it.
As long as you do not expect that pathnames having more than one slash
will glob correctly, there is no problem.

This dark corner of Amanda will probably change in future releases,
so it's best to not rely on this too much.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *