Amanda-Users

Re: Disklist question

2008-10-06 14:25:45
Subject: Re: Disklist question
From: "McGraw, Robert P" <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 13:50:25 -0400
Thanks for the information  about the -o option in amdump this is exactly
what I needed.

Several people have asked why I wanted to do this.

I have a perl script that runs ever day that produces a .sh script that does
the backup. There is a lot of pre and post processing around the amdump. The
perl script determines if it is the first Saturday of the month and will
create an archive .sh rather than a daily .sh.

In the .sh script I run another script that searches my users home directory
and builds a list of include files based on the first letter of each users
so that file users-a will have all the users that start with a and users-b
will have all the users that start with b and so on. This is run before each
amanda backup so that it will catch any new users that have been added.

Now my disk list file look like the following

zorn  /export/users-a  /export/fssnap/users  {
      users-tar
      include list "/local/Amanda/UsersList/users-a"
}
:
:
zorn  /export/users-z  /export/fssnap/users  {
      users-tar
      include list "/local/Amanda/UsersList/users-z"
}

I use the same DLE for both daily and archive backup and my DLEs are static.

The problem is that my user disk space has grown and it is taken a lot of
time to do an archive so I want to create two DLEs,  disklist-a-m and
disklist-n-z, and do an archive on the first Saturday with a-m and on the
third Saturday with n-z. On the Archive days I will run amdump
-o-disklist=disklist-x-y base on what Saturday it is.

Robert

--
Robert P. McGraw, Jr.
Manager, Computer System               EMAIL: rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu