Amanda-Users

Re: Single file backup

2008-08-15 17:25:12
Subject: Re: Single file backup
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:11:22 -0400
On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 02:03:44PM -0500, Jack O'Connell wrote:
> >* Jack O'Connell <joconne AT alcf.anl DOT gov> [20080815 14:23]:
> >>    When I try to backup a single file with Amanda it fails stating that
> >>it is not a directory.  I've seen examples of single file backups, so
> >>I'm sure it's possible.  Is there something I need to specify in the
> >>DLE or DUMPTYPE to allow this to succeed?
> >>
> >>? gtar: /gpfs/home/acherry/acceptance_tests/ft-sm-5/test1.out: Cannot
> >>chdir: Not a directory
> >> ? gtar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> >> sendbackup: error [dump (30959) /bin/tar returned 2]
> >
> >/dir/myfile
> >
> >blah /dir {
> >   include "./myfile"
> >}
> >

>       Thank you.  I am somewhat new to this.  Could you be a little more
> specific.  Is this a dumptype entry?
> On Aug 15, 2008, at 1:28 PM, Jean-Francois Malouin wrote:

A little of both, dumptype and DLE.  Dumptypes are named and reusable
in multiple DLEs.  So if you were backing up audio files from multiple
locations you might define a dumptype as:

define dumptype AUDIO {
        user-tar
        include list append "./*.mp3"
}

and make several DLEs using the AUDIO dumptype.

An alternative in the disklist file is to use the {...} syntax,
to customize a DLE with various dumptype properties.  That is
what Jean-Francois was suggesting.

When you do this you create a unique, unnamed dumptype.  As it
has no name, that new dumptype can not be used by other DLEs.

 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)