Amanda-Users

Re: Can't open tape device /dev/nst0

2008-08-06 19:43:47
Subject: Re: Can't open tape device /dev/nst0
From: "Vectorz Sigma" <vectorz3 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 16:32:37 -0700
I downgraded to Amanda 2.5.2p1 and it gave me a better clue when running amlabel.  Basically it said /dev/nst0 = permission denied.  I've been running the amlabel command as amandabackup but didn't realize you need to give permissions to the /dev/nst0 device (which was 750 perms and owned by root:root).   I chmod'd to 777 to test and that fixed the problem.

Is it a known deal that we're supposed to change permission on the tape dev name?