Amanda-Users

Re: how to restore a tar image from a amanda labeled tape

2008-08-05 13:06:14
Subject: Re: how to restore a tar image from a amanda labeled tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 12:59:53 -0400
On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 10:00:01AM -0600, Doyle Collings wrote:
> I was doing some amanda testing and labeled a tape.  Afterwards I
> backed up to the tape using tar not amanda.  I used the following
> syntax tar -c -b 4096 -f /dev/nst0 /mnt/mail/logancty.   I am unable to
> even list the files on the tape using tar -t /dev/nst0.  We have found
> that we are able to list files if the tapes have not been labeled by
> Amanda.   Amanda is not loaded on the server.

What did you do between labeling the tape with amanda and adding
the tar image to the tape.  If you did not remove the tape and
reinsert it (which would cause a rewind) or if you did not rewind
it using something like the mt(1) command after the labeling, then
the tape was positioned after the tape file containing the amanda
label.  I.e. it was the second file on the tape.

Later you probably did rewind it and asked tar to restore from the
beginning of the tape, the first tape file, i.e. from the amanda label.
Tar would not like that.

If this is an accurate picture of what was done, to recover you would
have to rewind and reposition the tape to the second file using mt(1).
Then use tar.

 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)