Amanda-Users

Re: Testing for Amanda-2.6.0p2

2008-08-01 14:59:37
Subject: Re: Testing for Amanda-2.6.0p2
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 14:50:05 -0400
On Friday 01 August 2008, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>Amanda Hackers:
>
>We're gearing up for a new patch release of 2.6.0 in about 3 weeks,
>and I'd like to make sure that we get a lot of testing before that
>happens.
>
>I've already sent out an email to the platform experts, and have heard
>back from a few.  We quashed a few bugs this way, and there are a few
>still outstanding (the SCO OpenServer problem comes to mind).
>However, I don't have a good feeling for how many folks are using the
>2.6.0 release, and what sorts of bugs they've encountered.  We've made
>a lot of fixes to the Device API since 2.6.0p1, all of which need
>testing.
>
>What I need from *you* (yes, I'm looking at you, not the person beside
>you) is to download and test out the latest 2.6.0 images from
>http://www.zmanda.com/community-builds.php.  You can test these
>non-invasively with the instructions at
>http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Testing, or incorporate them into
>your production systems.  Positive or negative, please let me know
>what you find out.  I'm completely available to help, too -- here, on
>#amanda, or wherever else you need me.
>
>Dustin

Running it every night Dustin & the only wart is the reported compression in
the emailed report, that is generally completely bogus.  I have posted about
it, but no one replied AFAIK.

Typically off just enough to be obvious, occasionally wildly, glaringly
obvious.  Most reports aren't this wild though:

Avg Compressed Size (%)   467.0        --        52.0   (level:#disks ...)

Other than that, I don't have any indications of trouble.  If I did, you would
already know about it. :)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Divorce is a game played by lawyers.
                -- Cary Grant