Amanda-Users

Re: Howto: amanda sata backup server (hw raid controllers)

2008-08-01 09:42:18
Subject: Re: Howto: amanda sata backup server (hw raid controllers)
From: Snorre Stamnes <sstamnes AT stevens DOT edu>
To: Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:35:13 -0400
Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
Snorre Stamnes schrieb:
Why shouldn't it be OK? I mean, you are using softraid, so I guess you don't have a big server/network.

The problem I am having is that currently all partitions except /holdingdisk are on the same raid5 (/backup, /, and /data). When doing backups of /data and / to /backup the server is very slow and bottle-necked. I think by switching the the above scheme will fix the problem.

It ll still be a bottleneck if the new disks are softraid again. Try thinking about a hardware raid controller (not one of the cheap onboard raid which is handled by the CPU itself). But it is all a thing of what you want to spend and if it's required. If you just have a few GB to backup every night, it's surely no big deal. I have to backup ~ 250 GB each night and 750 GB on complete level 0. For me it's required to ensure that the backup finishes until next morning.

I have heard horror stories about hardware raid, and I like the openness of Linux software raid. However if hardware raid is simply significantly faster I will look into that.

Are there any companies/cards you (or anyone on this list) would recommend regarding hardware raid controllers?

I know you recommended the 3Ware 9550SXU-8LP Sata Controller so I will look at that one.

--
Snorre Stamnes
Assistant System Architect