Amanda-Users

Re: How Do I Back Up a Smartstor?

2008-07-15 19:10:59
Subject: Re: How Do I Back Up a Smartstor?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:04:25 -0400
On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:15:59AM -0600, Steven Backus wrote:
> I'm thinking of purchasing this:

> The NS4300N is the ideal 4-Drive RAID 5 "Bring Your Own Drives" NAS
> Enclosure for Home, SOHO and Small Business applications. Feature
> Set includes one of the industry's most mature RAID Engines, SATA
> 3G, NCQ, Jumbo Frames, User Quota, Backup, Snapshot, HotSwap for
> failed drive replacement, Embedded Management Application and
> UPNP/DLNA Certification (NS4300N functions as Digital Media
> Server).
>
> And am wondering how one would back up this beast with amanda?

You could mount each of the NAS file systems on one or more suitable
client(s).  It could then be backed up just like any other indirect
client.  As an example, for a while I had HP-UX, Tru-64, and Win2K
boxes whose file systems/partitons could be NFS exported (even the
Win2K box had an NFS server).  I didn't want to bother getting amanda
to run on each, so I backed up their NFS mount points.

jl
 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)