Amanda-Users

Re: vtape sizes

2008-07-07 02:12:53
Subject: Re: vtape sizes
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 01:07:30 -0400
Lots to comment on.

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 11:15:25PM -0400, Dustin Schuemann wrote:
> Im trying to backup to some virtual tapes.
>
> My hard drive is 1.2 tb.

I presume you mean this is the size of the virtual tape (vtape)
drive (total size).

> The /home directory on the remote host is 4 gigs.

And that is a single DLE (DiskList Entry)?
> I want to run the backup every night and do a full backup on the first
> night. I want to have a 7 day rotation.
>
> When I run the backup I get this error.
>
> 65.0.0.0 /home lev 0  FAILED "[dump larger than available tape space,
> 2088825 KB, but cannot incremental dump new disk]"
>

> This is what I have.
>
> dumpcycle 7 days
> runspercycle 7
>
> tapecycle 7 tapes

But what is the size of your vtapes defined to be?
How many have you created and labeled?

A single cycle of tapes is barely allowed by amanda.
You will get repeated messages like "only full backup
of /home about to be overwritten".  And when that
happens your older incrementals are of reduced value.
Should the taping fail, you would not have a full dump
either.

A better value would be something like tapecycle 15.
Or if you want to keep a months worth, over 28.
 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)