Amanda-Users

Re: Tapelist

2008-03-11 19:32:07
Subject: Re: Tapelist
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:19:54 -0400
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:57:05AM -0500, Arthur Smith wrote:
> Jon,
>
> Thanks!  I want to be sure I understand correctly:
>
> I have 10 tapes, labeled monday1, tuesday1, etc.. through friday2. I
> should now be able to recreate the tapelist file like so:
>
> 0 monday1 reuse
> 0 tuesday1 reuse
>
> and so on, and amanda will use them in the order they are put in,
> correct? As if they were actually new tapes (even though they're not)...
>
> Am I on track?
>
> --acorn
>
> Jon LaBadie wrote:
> >On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:25:11AM -0500, Arthur Smith wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me with a confusing situation i've
> >>gotten myself into...
> >>
> >>First of all, I have configured and tested Amanda to satisfaction, and
> >>am ready to use it in production. Thus, I found and followed the steps
> >>in this FAQ:
> >>
> >>http://www.amanda.org/docs/faq.html#id346890
> >>

> >>Ok, I'm done with testing /Amanda/, now I want to put it in production.
> >>How can I reset its databases so as to start from scratch?

> >>   TAPE MANAGEMENT
> >>
> >>The /tapelist/ file contains the list of tapes in active use. This file
> >>is maintained entirely by Amanda and should not be created or edited
> >>during normal operation.
> >>

> >>So.... Now that i have amanda all set up, and have all my tapes properly
> >>labeled, I have deleted my tapelist file, and don't know where to go
> >>from here!
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance for any help!
> >>

> >You certainly can relabel all the tapes.  Use the -f option to
> >force overwriting the existing amanda label on the tape.
> >First you may have to create an empty tapelist file,
> >owned by the amanda user/group with rw for owner.
> >
> >Alternatively you can manually create the entire file with
> >lines of the form:
> >
> >  0 <tape_label> reuse
> >
> >For example here are four lines from an old tapelist file:
> >

> >0 FTape-12 reuse
> >0 FTape-11 reuse
> >20031031 FTape-10 reuse
> >20031030 FTape-09 reuse
> >
> >The top two tapes have not been used yet, the bottom two were.
> >Your entries should look like the top two but with your tape
> >labels rather than FTape-XX.
> >
> >jl

Others have already commented on DOW labeling,
to which I'll add a simple YECH to show I agree.

As to the tapelist file, amanda will happily use
ANY unused tape (noted with a 0 date) in the
tapelist file.  Its prefered order has the "next
expected tape" at the bottom of the file.  The
most recently used tape is at the top.

If you really are going to use DOW labelling
I have recommendation for the first set of runs.
Edit the tapelist file before each run and add
the tape you plan to use that day.  You could
create all entries but make all but the active
one "noreuse".  Then edit that to "reuse" for
each daily tape.  Otherwise you could be out
of order right from the start.

jl
 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)