Amanda-Users

Re: can't make on Solaris 10

2008-01-08 18:28:02
Subject: Re: can't make on Solaris 10
From: Sean Walmsley <sean AT fpp.nuclearsafetysolutions DOT com>
To: wab AT purdue DOT edu
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 18:07:20 -0500 (EST)
The following compiles Amanda fine for me on Solaris 10 (earlier
Solaris versions required a few more tweaks):

  - create a new amanda build directory and untar the
    amanda distribution into it (this makes sure that config
    from previous compile attempts aren't hanging around)
  - cd to the build directory you created above
  - prepend /usr/sfw/bin to your path so that the environment
    looks there first (this directory is part of the Solaris
    10 distribution and contains gmake, gcc, etc.). For
    example, use "setenv PATH /opt/sfw/bin:$PATH" in csh, or
    "export PATH=/opt/sfw/bin:$PATH" in ksh or bash
  - configure --with-user=amanda --with-group=amanda (change
    user and group here appropriately for your system)
  - make sure that configure picks up the gcc compiler
    rather than the Sun Studio compiler in the step above
  - gmake

The Sun Studio compilers are much better than gcc in terms of
performance, but some of the Amanda code seems to use gcc specific
constructs so you're stuck with it.

The GNU make (gmake on Solaris) is far superior to Sun's (very old)
version and many things just seem to work better if you use it.

Sean