Amanda-Users

Probably very stupid question about chg-disk

2007-11-16 12:19:40
Subject: Probably very stupid question about chg-disk
From: Francis Galiegue <fg AT one2team DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:10:49 +0100
Hello list,

The internal tape drive on our Amanda backup server has fried the motherboard
and itself, so as a result I had to salvage what I could on a new machine
which now does disk backups using chg-disk.

I pretty much took over the configuration files and adapted it according to
the documentation found here:
http://www.amanda.org/docs/howto-filedriver.html

Works very well (in fact, test restorations are MUCH faster now, but then we
have DATs, not LTOs). However, a lot of cruft remains in the configuration
files. I'll clean it up when I get time (the old server was 2.4.4p2, the new
one is 2.5.2p1).

Is the holding disk still necessary? My guess is no, but then I may be
mistaken. The documentation is not clear on this point. It only says not to
put holding disks in the same place than vtapes... Which doesn't really
mean "you WILL still need a holding disk, but try and put it on another disk
for performance reasons".

Thanks,
--
Francis Galiegue, fg AT one2team DOT com - Ingénieur système
One2team - 42 Av. Raymond Poincaré - 75116 PARIS CEDEX