Amanda-Users

Which executables should be suid?

2007-10-23 19:52:07
Subject: Which executables should be suid?
From: Craig Tierney <ctierney AT HPTI DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:38:45 -0600
I am configuring amanda v2.5.2 and I am having a problem on
one of my clients.  A directory is owned by root, and the permissions
on it are 700.  I am getting the following error from amcheck.

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: adam: [could not access /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-adam/bak (/opt/fedora-ds/slapd-adam/bak): Permission denied]
Client check: 6 hosts checked in 0.123 seconds, 1 problem found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.5.2)

My xinetd file is configured so that for the amandad process, it
is run as amanda.  I verified by hand that amanda cannot get to
the directory listed above.

Should the amandad process be suid root?  What other executables
should be suid root (besides runtar, planner, and dumper)?

Thanks,
Craig

--
Craig Tierney (ctierney AT hpti DOT com)
High Performance Technologies, Inc.