Amanda-Users

amverify reports problems

2007-08-21 10:20:12
Subject: amverify reports problems
From: Paul Lussier <pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:20:49 -0400
Hi folks,

I just ran amverify on my most recent amanda run from this past
weekend and saw this in the amverify report:
  ** Error detected ()
  amrestore: missing file header block
  amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset
  amrestore: error reading file header: Input/output error
  amrestore: could not fsf /dev/nst0: Input/output error
  ** No header
  0+0 in
  0+0 out
  [ 5 more of these elided ]
  Too many errors.

This happened on at least 2 tapes.  Further, when it got to checking
that all the chunks were there, I see this:

  Split dump amanda2._RT.20070817.0 should have 54 total pieces
  Spanning chunk part 41 is missing!
  Spanning chunk part 42 is missing!
  Spanning chunk part 43 is missing!
  Spanning chunk part 44 is missing!
  Spanning chunk part 45 is missing!

So, I'm fairly confident that this file system was not properly backed
up.  More disturbing to me though, are the 2 or more tapes which
reported "Too many errors".  Is this a problem with the tape, the
drive, or amanda?  And how do I prove which one it is?  I'm leaning
towards the tapes, but haven't ruled out the drive.

I'm currently using Fuji LTO3 tapes with an Overland ARCVault tape
library changer containing an HP LTO3 drive.  The tapes I'm writing to
are brand new, just out of the box, never before been used.

Any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated.
--
Thanks,
Paul