Amanda-Users

Re: The question about an amanda.conf configuration file.

2007-08-14 00:13:42
Subject: Re: The question about an amanda.conf configuration file.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:11:20 -0400
On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 11:17:02AM +0900, d_boy wrote:
> Hello list
>
> Please let me ask a question about an Amanda2.4.X version.
> A question is asked about the item called "dumpcycle" in an
> amanda.conf configuration file.
>
> Is a full backup performed at intervals of that value, as for the
> value set up by the this "dumpcycle" item?
>
> For example, if it sets to 10 at the item "dumpcycle", is a full
> backup performed for every ten days as for it?
>
> Or does it perform by being on the somewhere day for every
> ten days?

Dumpcycle and runspercycle must both be considered.

Amanda attempts to have at least one level 0 (full dump) of each
DLE (DiskList Entry) each dumpcycle number of days or each number
of runs per cycle.  So if you have a dumpcycle == 10 days and
only run amdump every other day (runspercycle == 5) then amanda
checks each DLE to see if the last level 0 for that DLE was equal
to or greater than 10 days earlier or 5 runs ago.

Note, because of amanda's "dynamic scheduling", factors other than
dumpcycle or runspercycle may cause a DLE to receive a level 0
earlier than its normal dumpcycle.  For that DLE the hypothetical
10 day/5 run cycle starts over.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)