Amanda-Users

Re: 2 tape drives?

2007-08-08 12:29:10
Subject: Re: 2 tape drives?
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 10:05:08 -0500
On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 04:08:19PM +0200, Cyrille Bollu wrote:
>    Sorry, I don't understand; This thread doesn't seem to speak about
>    writing on 2 tapes at the same time (like RAIT but without the
>    redundancy).

The original question was the same, and the answer was that you can do
that with RAIT with the third (parity) drive set to /dev/null, although
that has certain disadvantages, too.

This capability is something we'd like to add in a more permanent sense
(so e.g., full dumps get written to each tape, instead of blockwise
striping), but it's a fairly fundamental change and will not be here too
soon.

Dustin

--
        Dustin J. Mitchell