Amanda-Users

Re: LTO-3: optimizing blocksize

2007-08-01 12:28:09
Subject: Re: LTO-3: optimizing blocksize
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 12:19:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 at 11:29am, Jean-Francois Malouin wrote

Hardware:
I've setup the default access device to the drives as non-compressing.
The library is hooked through a LSI U320 PCI-X scsi card to a 4
DualCore2 Xeon with 8GB of RAM running Debian/Etch running a 64bit
kernel 2.6.21.5-i686-64-smp. It should be beefy enough :)

If you ever want to use both drives simultaneously, you'll need a dual channel SCSI card and each drive will need to be on its own channel. Trust me on this one -- I tried every trick I could think of with 2 drives on one channel (there should be plenty of bandwidth, right!?), but couldn't get decent speeds when using both drives.

Running amtapetype with different blocksize gives me ~386MB for
capacity (close enough to 400MB) but I never seem to get close to
streaming:

bs=     speed=
32k     50482 kps
128k    50531 kps
256k    50508 kps
512k    50521 kps
1024k   50512 kps
2048k   15780 kps
4096k   15875 kps

Any hint on what I should try next?

Interesting. What if you try with dd or tar rather than amtapetype? On my LTO3 drives testing with tar bs=32k yielded 41MiB/s while bs=2048k yielded 60MiB/s.

Note also that LTO drives can throttle back to half of their native rate (80MB/s for LTO3) without shoe-shining.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering