Amanda-Users

Re: system load

2007-07-31 11:32:22
Subject: Re: system load
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:23:38 -0400
Chris,

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 10:50:56AM -0400, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
> >>uptime
> >>
> >  9:04am  up 18:58,  2 users,  load average: 55.46, 51.27, 51.43
>

> whoah! that's a load.
>
> I seem to recall you are on solaris.

You have a good memory, though I also have servers on IRIX and
linux boxes this is a Solaris system. Its an E250 that we use
as a Lotus Notes server.

We are down to two concurrent dumps and the load average dropped
to 33, still rather high, and it will be some hours before I'm able
to tell you what the load average is when amanda is not running.

oh, my other LNotes server on the other E250 currently has a load
average of 0.09, somehow that doesn't seem right either.

Because the partitions are large enough to span tapes we've been
breaking them down into tar-s, we have better fit in the spool
area and on tape and have increased concurrency even though we
didn't increase maxdumps (this system has itself as the only client).
The most recent change having been an issue Jon helped with on Thursday,
where I had to divide a large partition into multiple DLEs and use
excludes since (unlike my other large partition) it didn't have any
divisions of files near the root of the file system.

Actually, since there are no interactive users on this system the
only indication I had of an issue was the fact that sendmail stopped
sending me stuff, smtpd doesn't accept connections, even from the
local box, if the load average is too high.

> What kind of system is this and what else have you got running on it?
>
> I would have to get up in the middle of the night (or run a cron, d'oh)
> to see, but I don't think my amanda server breaks a sweat. My department
> server has been sporadically overloading because of the increase in spam
> lately. But its a mail server that is also running Apache, mysql,
> mediawiki, samba, squirrelmail, postgresql, a gene sequencing pipeline,
> print spooling, netatalk, ftp, imap, . . . etc., and when it gets
> "overloaded" it is nowhere near what you have.
>

> ---------------
>
> Chris Hoogendyk
>
> -
>   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
>  c/ /'_ --- Biology & Geology Departments
> (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center
> ~~~~~~~~~~ - University of Massachusetts, Amherst
>
> <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
>
> ---------------
>
> Erd�s 4

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.