Amanda-Users

Restoring from virtual tapes

2007-07-23 11:51:54
Subject: Restoring from virtual tapes
From: up AT 3 DOT am
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:19:54 -0400 (EDT)
I've restored amanda file systems in the past from tape using amrestore.
However, I switched from tapes to vtapes several months ago and am trying
to restore a file system.

According to the FAQs and posts I saw searching various archives, one
wants to use amrecover intead of amrestore for vtapes.

Trying to run as user amanda, I am told it has to be run as root.  When I
run it as root, I get this error:

su-2.05b# amrecover -C colos
AMRECOVER Version 2.5.0p2. Contacting server on ns1.pil.net ...
amrecover: cannot connect to server.mydomain.net: Connection refused

I then add the user root to ~amanda/.amandahosts, but it doesn't make a
difference:

(Partial) cat ~amanda/.amandahosts

localhost.mydomain.net amanda
server.mydomain.net amanda
server.mydomain.net root
localhost.mydomain.net root

I also tried adding to this config's amanda.conf the following:

amrecover_changer "file:/path/to/tapedev"

And it didn't help.  What am I missing?

TIA,

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
up AT 3 DOT am                                                      http://3.am