Amanda-Users

Re: Changing the label of an Amanda tape

2007-07-12 08:11:20
Subject: Re: Changing the label of an Amanda tape
From: Craig Dewick <cdewick AT lios.apana.org DOT au>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 22:04:17 +1000 (EST)
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:

It's best to maintain consistency in all the information amanda has about tapes and backups.

Agreed. When I used to have a DAT array (quite a number of years back) it worked very well.

I have about twice as many tapes in my regular rotation as my tape library holds. I periodically swap out a batch of tapes from the library and cycle in the ones that will be coming up soon. I do all that from the console of the library. Then I run `amtape daily update`, which both tells me what I have in the library now and also updates amanda's information.

Ok I just tried that command ('amtape ORBnet update' for my setup) and it reported 'Changer problem: no slots available'. I know the first 8 of the 9 slots have tapes with valid Amanda labels (they were labelled on an older DLT array than the Sun L9 array I have here now).

If you have tapes from another configuration of amanda that has been decommissioned and is obsolete, then relabel the tapes. It takes a bit of effort, but it is best that you do it yourself and know exactly what has been done. I don't like the idea of some other backup software that automatically relabels tapes.

If I can work out a way to get Amanda to relabel the tapes and work around tape changer errors, etc. that are occuring I will try that. One thing I'm going to do is build and install the 2.5.2 version of the software and check if the behaviour of amtape, etc. is the same as it is at present.

I've just shifted my manually-created 'tapelist' file aside (to 'tapelist.test), and tried 'amlabel -f ORBnet ORBnet00 slot 0' which reported back with 'amlabel: could not load slot "0": no slots available'. The L9 self-tests fine and 'learns' which slots have tapes without any problems at all. The problem could be in the way the L9 array is set up but I've just left it set with all defaults at the moment.

Craig.

--
Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web @ "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick";.
Email 2 "cdewick AT lios.apana.org DOT au". SunShack @ "http://www.sunshack.org";