Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda on Gentoo Linux?

2007-03-20 13:33:45
Subject: Re: Amanda on Gentoo Linux?
From: dustin AT zmanda DOT com
To: Linda Pahdoco <linda AT meridian-ds DOT com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:55:11 -0500
On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 10:21:07AM -0500, Linda Pahdoco wrote:
> The only issue we've hit recently is not being able to get incrementals on
> machines with updated tar packages.  We get Level 0 every night.  We stay
> pretty on top of patches from
> Gentoo, and we've seen it on multiple systems.  We're also seeing it on
> Windows 2003 boxes running amanda under Cygwin.  I don't think that has
> anything to do with the server, only
> with the client machine(s).

That sounds suspiciously like what Gene is running into:
  http://marc.info/?l=amanda-users&m=117399694429491&w=2

Pretty much my only substantive gripe with Gentoo is that it encourages
its users to "live on the edge", which isn't really appropriate for
production systems.  I assume you've downgraded your tar packages to
keep your backups functional?  What version of tar broke for you?  What
kernel version are you running?

I'll make a note to look into this when I can get the relevant equipment
lined up.

Dustin

P.S. Gene -- I haven't been ignoring your messages, but you were using
bleeding-edge kernels, and seemed to believe that the kernels, and not
tar, were to blame for your lack of incrementals.

--
        Dustin J. Mitchell
        Storage Software Engineer, Zmanda, Inc.