Amanda-Users

client system crash using XFS root partition

2007-01-30 20:23:51
Subject: client system crash using XFS root partition
From: "Julian C. Dunn" <lists AT aquezada DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:41:01 -0500
I have an amanda setup as follows:

server: amanda 2.5.1p2 running FreeBSD 6.2
client: amanda 2.5.0p2 running Fedora Core 6. The vendor SRPM has been
rebuilt (rpmbuild -ba) in order to support xfsdump. The relevant
packages:

amanda-2.5.0p2-4
amanda-client-2.5.0p2-4
xfsdump-2.2.42-2.fc6

The client system has two disks, one is the root disk on a metadevice
mirror, /dev/md0, and another is just a standalone drive, /dev/hde1.
Both are formatted with XFS.

If I try to back up the root partition, /dev/md0, using amanda, the
client system crashes. On the rare occasion that I can actually access
the client system before it locks up entirely, it seems that whatever
amanda is doing causes the system to lose its root partition entirely
(i.e. any "ls" command says "I/O error").

I can back up the /dev/hde1 standalone drive fine using Amanda, and I
can manually "xfsdump" both drives. So something about the way Amanda is
interacting with the client is causing the failure.

Any ideas where I should start looking to fix this?

- Julian

--
[ Julian C. Dunn <jdunn AT aquezada DOT com>  *  "You can throw confetti,   ]
[ WWW: www.aquezada.com/staff/julian   *  but you're still going     ]