Amanda-Users

Re: Cant run two Linux Servers behind my firewall at the same time - only one and vice versa.

2007-01-18 12:04:25
Subject: Re: Cant run two Linux Servers behind my firewall at the same time - only one and vice versa.
From: Kristian Rink <krink AT pm-planc DOT de>
To: chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:36:04 +0100
Chuck;

Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator schrieb:

>> Hi List I was hoping for some direction to my issue with two servers
>> behind a firewall running ipchains
>> I can backup one or the other but when I uncomment both DLE I get host down.

As I don't run amanda across network boundaries, probably I can be of
little help here. Few pointers, however:

* Did you spent some quality time using tcpdump and friends to see your
modified build of amanda actually is exclusively using the port range
you want it to use? I recommend doing some monitoring and figuring out
what happens in your setup.

* Perhaps you might consider using an option other than amanda for doing
cross-network backups. No offense folks, I love amanda and its feature
set, but sync'ing machines across networks usually I fall back to using
rsync/ssh as it needs way less firewall tweaking / port opening.
Overally, as I dislike the idea of having _one_ amanda installation
making its way through a firewall, the idea of having even _two_ of them
gives me the creeps. :)

Cheers,
Kristian

--
Dipl.-Ing.(BA) Kristian Rink * Software- und Systemingenieur
planConnect GmbH  * Strehlener Str. 12 - 14 * 01069 Dresden