Amanda-Users

Stand-by amanda server

2007-01-05 11:51:53
Subject: Stand-by amanda server
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 11:31:54 -0500
Any one ever set up a second system, probably one of
the regular amanda clients, as a stand-by amanda server?

With the use of virtual tapes and external storage,
either from USB drives or a file server, it would
seem to be a fairly straight forward task.

Here is the type of situation I'm envisioning.
My server is on Fedora, using USB drives dedicated
as my 64 vtapes.  I have a client running SuSE.
I may want to upgrade the Fedora system and shake
things out for a week or so but not stop backups
during that time.

So, set up similar file system structures on the
two boxes for the amanda config and the vtape
mount points.  Do an rsync command(s) to update
the shadow directories on the client.  Then
move the disks from the server to the client
and activate some crontab entries.

Doable?  Any gotcha's?
Anyone care to share their experience doing it?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)