Amanda-Users

Re: fulls when the holding disk is small?

2006-12-28 19:09:14
Subject: Re: fulls when the holding disk is small?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Mike <mikee AT mikee.ath DOT cx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:54:23 -0600
Mike wrote:
> I'm installing amanda to test in my environment. I have one critical
> filesystem
> (on linux) that is larger than any holding area I can create from the
> remaining
> RAID5 space. When I execute 'amdump daily' the report says it cannot switch to
> incremental. I interpret this to mean that amanda is not able to stream the
> file system directly to tape? How can I fix this?

Did the message start with 'dump larger than tape'?  Amanda usually won't do an
incremental backup unless it has already done a full, so a full has to fit on
tape.
   Your tapetype (HP-DAT) is defined as about 1.9GB, and runtapes is set to 5,
so you can't back up a DLE larger than about 9.5GB (1.9 x 5).  Is your DLE
larger than that?
   In order to split a DLE across those 5 tapes, you need to enable
tape-spanning.
Your DLE needs to use a dumptype that specifies tape_splitsize with a value
smaller than the size of your tape.  The only dumptype in your config with that
option is set for 5GB, which won't fit on your tape.  Also, since you say it it
is also larger than your holdingdisk, you will need to set split_diskbuffer in
your dumptype as well.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673