Amanda-Users

Re: runtapes < {total size of dump}?

2006-12-07 11:48:12
Subject: Re: runtapes < {total size of dump}?
From: "Alexander Jolk" <alexander.jolk AT gmail DOT com>
To: "JB Segal" <jb AT smarterliving DOT com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 17:39:41 +0100
Hi,

So, if I have a dump where every item is the same priority, and the
complete dump takes 4 tapes, what happens if I set runtapes to '2'?

Will it fail gracefully, filling 2 tapes with half(-ish) the data one
pass and the other half the next, or will it fail in such a way that I
need to amflush after every run and/or start from the 1st disklisted
partition every time?

As long as your individual dumps are smaller than your tape size (or
total tape size for one run if you use splitting), it will work out
after two runs.  On the first run, you'll get a few MISSING dumps
because your dump size was too big; those will be done on the next
run.  Depending on your holding disk size and reserve parameter, a few
dumps may also end up on the holding disk after the first run; with
autoflush, they'll be flushed on the next run.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk * +33-1 42 62 31 95 * +33-6 89 65 36 58
Alexander.Jolk AT gmail DOT com