Amanda-Users

Different issue this time: Rate-limiting?

2006-12-04 13:53:12
Subject: Different issue this time: Rate-limiting?
From: "Ian R. Justman" <ianj AT ian-justman DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 10:43:22 -0800

Hi, listfolk.

I managed to get things working on limiting the files I want in a given set, but it hasn't solved my larger problem, the ethernet interface goes down during the course of the backup, but bounces back online. From what I've been able to garner via Google, the machine, a Sun Ultra 5, appears to suffer a design defect that if the network interface is under heavy load, the interface will shut down, then shortly thereafter, it'll come back online. Our NetSaint server will sometimes send (false) notifications showing that the server machine is down then back up.

Any ideas on how to get AMANDA to take it easy when sending data to the backup server? I'd rather do it at the application layer if possible.

Thanks!

--Ian.