Amanda-Users

RE: RAIT vtapes: all slots are suddenly empty

2006-12-01 09:25:13
Subject: RE: RAIT vtapes: all slots are suddenly empty
From: "Uwe M. Kaufmann" <uwe.kaufmann AT infoconsult DOT nu>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 14:45:55 +0100
Hello Gene,

Thanks for your 2 long mails. I would like to summarize my answers.

First of all, magically the backup tonight went well but don't ask me why!

Amcheck now reports "amcheck-server: slot 2: reading label: Numerical
argument out of domain" which means, there is a vtape but the label does not
match. This is correct, amanda will sort that out tonight.

I use 'this old version' of amanda on several SuSE Linux servers (9.1 to
10.0) and I try to use the same amanda version for clients and servers.
'never change a running system' you know ;-)

The chg-multi-vtapes-rait configuration is running perfectly, set-up and
maintained with the knowledge and examples of the amanda wiki and this list
:-)

The half mirrored rait backup goes to /amandatapes/daily/vtape[1-4]/data.
Yesterday (while all slots seemed to be empty) I tried an "amrestore -p
/amandatapes/daily/vtape4/data/00004.sebastian._samba_DLEname.0 | tar tv"
and it worked. So, I was sure to be able to restore if needed - even with
'empty slots'. The other half of the rait mirrored backup goes to the
physical tape.

I was also astonished about the looong access times to the changer vtapes
slots but - as said - now everything is fine again. I am just worried about
this event because I do not have any idea about the cause AND the magic
solution.

If I'll have something new to report I will do so.

Thanks again and best wishes
Uwe