Amanda-Users

Re: tape order

2006-10-17 16:08:39
Subject: Re: tape order
From: Steve Wray <steve.wray AT cwa.co DOT nz>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:03:09 +1300
Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 11:44:53AM -0400, Steven Settlemyre wrote:
>> I have 24 tapes and a 8 tape changer. For some reason, it is going
>> 13->16->15->14->17. How can I fix this? can i just force it to take 14
>> after 13 by only having 14 in there when it's expecting 16? My tapecycle
>> is 10.
>
> As Michael suggests, your human ordering is VERY likely
> to get out of sequence.  Best to forget about it.

This has been bugging me for years.

It makes daily off-site storage of backup tapes problematic; the
data-vault outfits typically need to know 24 hours in advance which tape
they should bring to your site as they need to plan the route for their
van.

If you request that they send you a tape at 'short notice' they will
typically charge extra for this.

I've been looking for a way to get amanda to try to predict which tape
it will want next in good time (a schedule for the next 3 days or so
would be ideal). No luck so far...