Amanda-Users

Re: Many thanks and more questions (amrestore/amfetchdump)

2006-07-28 21:29:52
Subject: Re: Many thanks and more questions (amrestore/amfetchdump)
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Ronald Vincent Vazquez <rvazquez AT ctcministries DOT org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:23:11 -0500
Ronald Vincent Vazquez wrote:
> The next questions are, how will amanda back up a single volume exceeding
> 5 TB (10-14 TB) and how long will it take to write it to tape?  Should we
> be asking an average of how long does amanda takes to collect and write 1
> TB of data to tape and multiply by X?  Ok, let say that our volume grows
> to 10 TB, how long would the cycle have to be to perform a level 0 of this
> bad boy?

The backup time for 10TB will probably be close to 10x the time for
1TB, assuming all the data is similar in number of files per gig (for
tar, for dump I don't think it matters) and compressibility.
   The real question is going to be the length of your backup window
in relation to your backup speed.  For data that size you may need
to run multiple drives in parallel with the RAIT driver, and even
that might not help if you can't read the disk fast enough to keep
up, depending on the data layout on the disk, plus all the usual
bus bottlenecks, etc..
   I would personally leery of backing it up as a single entity,
you lose Amanda's ability of keeping daily tape usage balanced
via spreading the level 0s around to different days.   Also, what
happens when you hit an error 9TB into your 10TB backup, do you
end up with nothing (or at least nothing easy to recover from)?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673