Amanda-Users

Re: Server side compression

2006-07-28 14:43:08
Subject: Re: Server side compression
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:37:01 -0400
On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 07:25:29PM +0100, Alan Pearson wrote:

> I think I've run into another problem indirectly realted to my earlier
> issues.
>
> I've been trying in vein to get a Level 0 dump of the  machine onto tape.
>
> I've told amanda to use SERVER compression, but unfortunatley, amanda
> planner seem to take the estimates from the client without compression
> when calculating what it can fit on tape.
>
> So in reality, if I go over the uncompressed size of the tape as defined
> in tape type, then this will never get to tape, even though it may fit on
> after compression.
>
> This is at the planner stage, so Amanda doesn't even dump the system to
> disk to see what size it really is.

The planner gets the uncompressed size estimate from the client even
if client-side compression is used.

However in the info file for each DLE is a record of the compressability
of the last three full-dumps (and last three incrementals).  The
uncompressed size is then multiplied by this factor to get the final
size estimate of the dump.

If the actual historical information is missing,
a compressability of 0.5 is used.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)