Amanda-Users

Re: backing up to DVD-Rs

2006-07-12 13:26:18
Subject: Re: backing up to DVD-Rs
From: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
To: Laurence Darby <ldarby AT tuffmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:17:45 -0400
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 10:29:14AM +0100, Laurence Darby wrote:
> Bascially I have a 30GB directory (/home) and 50 4.7GB DVD-Rs.  Is there
> any support in Amanda for backing up to DVD-Rs?   Actually, the only
> thing I'm looking for is the capability to divide the 30GB into 4.7GB
> chunks, or slightly smaller to fit on a 4.7GB ext2 loopback file which
> can be burned to DVD.

Is this the only disklist item you'd have?  Also, how frequently will
you be running backups?

Basically, I found that Amanda with DVD-Rs was too much trouble for
backing up my home system.  Rather, I run dump manually.

Make a holding area, and use dump with a tape size of just slightly
less than the DVD-R size.  Tell dump to generate manifests and quick
file access data.

Then, all you have to do is burn each dump file to a DVD-R in
pre-prepared mode (check man growisofs for details on this) and
burn/store the index/QFA data somewhere.

Once you have that burnt, restores are easy.  You just tell restore to
restore from your DVD device.  When it asks for tape number X, you
insert DVD X and it does its thing.

It works quite well and prevent having to juggle all the information
that Amanda is going to keep about your filesystems.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross AT kallisti DOT us

man in the bonds of Hell."