Amanda-Users

RE: amrecover failures

2006-07-10 20:49:26
Subject: RE: amrecover failures
From: "Jerlique Bahn" <jerlique AT webscene.com DOT au>
To: "'Frank Smith'" <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:12:52 +0930
> problems
> manual
> that
> >> it needs a different tape, but I cannot work out why.

> >> I'm not very familiar with the chg-manual script, but as a wild guess
> >> you might have the wrong console device specified for your OS.
> >
> > I don't think so, because the commands that are failing from within
> > chg-manual work if I type them in eg:
> >
> > SRV# echo "insert tape into slot $1 and press return" >/dev/tty
> > insert tape into slot  and press return
> > SRV# read ANSWER </dev/tty
> >
> > SRV#

> >> not

> >> Looks like this is your main problem, you don't have permissions to
> >> the tape drive.  Odd, since you say you are running amrecover as
> >> root.  Is the tape actually loaded in the drive?  Can you (from the
> >> command line) run 'mt -f /dev/nsa0 rewind' successfully?
> >
> > I agree, however from the command line I have full access:
>
> On poking around my installation, the changer scripts are all
> owned by my Amanda user, not root.  Can you 'su -' to your Amanda
> user and still run these commands?

Ahh very good point!! I've been running it as root, and this is what is in
the Amanda.conf file but I compiled with user=backup.  In inetd I'm running
the services as user root.

SRV# su backup -c "/usr/local/amanda/sbin/ammt -f /dev/nsa0 rewind"
/dev/nsa0 rewind failed: Permission denied

SRV# la /usr/local/amanda/sbin/ammt -rwxr-xr-x  1 backup  backup  14857 Jul
10 14:13 /usr/local/amanda/sbin/ammt

SRV# la /usr/local/amanda/sbin/amdd -rwxr-xr-x  1 backup  backup  13153 Jul
10 14:13 /usr/local/amanda/sbin/amdd

What do you think I should do?

JB