Amanda-Users

amcheck fails for OS X client

2006-07-03 16:11:35
Subject: amcheck fails for OS X client
From: Josh Steadmon <steadmon AT cs.utk DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 16:02:12 -0400
Hello,

I've recently tried to set up my OS X (10.4.7) laptop to backup to my
Amanda server running Gentoo.  My Amanda server has been backing itself
up without any problems for a while now.  However, when I run amcheck,
it times out trying to contact my laptop:

amanda@meraxes:~> amcheck -c homeunix

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
WARNING: balerion: selfcheck request failed: timeout waiting for ACK
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 30.029 seconds, 1 problem found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.5.0p2)

It appears that amandad is starting up on my laptop
(/tmp/amanda/amandad.* is getting created), but it looks like it can't
see the REQ packet that the server is sending.  Here's one of the
/tmp/amanda/amandad.* files from my laptop:

amandad: debug 1 pid 744 ruid 5000 euid 5000: start at Mon Jul  3 15:42:05 2006
amandad: version 2.5.0p2
amandad: build: VERSION="Amanda-2.5.0p2"
<snip>
amandad: paths: bindir="/sw/backups-01/bin"
<snip>
amandad: defs:  DEFAULT_SERVER="meraxes.homeunix.net"
<snip>
amandad: time 29.952: pid 744 finish time Mon Jul  3 15:42:35 2006

On my server, the amandad debug file has this as the next line after the
defs:

amandad: time 0.001: accept recv REQ pkt:

Also, no /tmp/amanda/selfcheck files are created on my laptop.

This problem happens whether I use launchd or xinetd to start amandad.
I've temporarily turned off the OS X firewall until I get it working, so
that shouldn't be the problem either.  Has anyone seen anything similar to this?

Both the server and my laptop are using dynamic host names from
dyndns.org if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Josh Steadmon