Amanda-Users

"strategy incronly" and "skip-full" again: According to manual page, both are buggy. Have bugs been fixed?

2006-06-22 04:53:25
Subject: "strategy incronly" and "skip-full" again: According to manual page, both are buggy. Have bugs been fixed?
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:45:43 +0200
Regarding my recent post regarding "strategy incronly" and "skip-full", I just found out more about the problems I've had in the past with this simply by checking the amanda.conf manual page it says:

skip-full /boolean/
       Default: no. If true and planner has scheduled a full backup,
       these disks will be skipped, and full backups should be run
       off-line on these days. It was reported that Amanda only
       schedules level 1 incrementals in this configuration; this is
       probably a bug.

and also

   strategy {standard|nofull|noinc|skip|incronly}

       [ ... ]
       incronly : Only do incremental dumps. amadmin force should be
       used to tell Amanda that a full dump has been performed
       off-line, so that it resets to level 1. It is similar to
       skip-full, but with incronly full dumps may be scheduled
       manually. Unfortunately, it appears that Amanda will perform
       full backups with this configuration, which is probably a bug.

So, the problem with setting up an incremental-only config is that with "skip-full", incremental level will never be increased above 1, while with "strategy incronly", it is updated correctly, but the level 0s (scheduled via "amadmin force") won't be skipped correctly. Or at least, that's the way it's been in the past. Does anyone know if anything has been done lately to address these issues?

- Toralf