Amanda-Users

Re: HOST DOWN error connecting to new client

2006-06-06 19:06:24
Subject: Re: HOST DOWN error connecting to new client
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Matt Emmott <memmott AT jerkychew DOT com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 17:00:36 -0500
Matt Emmott wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I just compiled and installed Amanda 2.5.0p2 as a client on a Red Hat
> Enterprise ES 4 machine. Our server (which has been running for years) is a
> Red Hat 8 machine running Amanda 2.4.2p2. I've modified the disklist file in
> the archive section of our server to only back up the new server, named owl,
> via the following line:
>

> owl /home/path/to/files user-tar
>

> However, when I try to run /usr/sbin/amcheck Archive, I get the following
> error:

> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>
> -----------------------------
>
> Holding disk /usr/amandatmp: 10851752 KB disk space available, that's plenty
>
> ERROR: label DailySet103 doesn't match labelstr "^archive[0-9][0-9]*$"
>
>        (expecting tape archive09 or a new tape)
>
> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>
> NOTE: info dir /var/lib/amanda/Archive/curinfo/owl: does not exist
>
> NOTE: index dir /var/lib/amanda/Archive/index/owl: does not exist
>
> Server check took 18.177 seconds
>

> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>
> --------------------------------
>
> WARNING: owl: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
>
> Client check: 1 host checked in 29.998 seconds, 1 problem found

> This was just a test run, so the bad tape error is ok, and I assume the info
> and index errors are ok, since a backup has never been run. The problem is
> with the Host Down error. I've enabled Amanda in xinetd.d, and restarted
> xinetd. a chkconfig --list tells me that Amanda is up and running. There is
> no firewall on the server, and hosts.deny is empty.
>

> What else can I look at to figure out why this isn't connecting?

A few things to check:

Check for a firewall on owl (you said there was none on the server,
but didn't mention the client).

Check your xinetd logs to see if it is getting a connection (not a
RedHat person, so I don't know if or where it logs).

Run the command in the 'server' line of your xinetd config to
verify that it can run (no missing libraries, permissions, etc.)
It should just sit there until you either hit a key or it times
out and then exit.

Make sure your server can resolve owl to the proper IP.

If all else fails run tcpdump and see f a connection is even attempted.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673