Amanda-Users

2.4.5p1 -> 2.5.0

2006-05-02 15:29:37
Subject: 2.4.5p1 -> 2.5.0
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 21:27:10 +0200 (CEST)
last week I (well, Debian testing) upgraded from 2.4.5p1 to 2.5.0.
And suddenly my nightly backups to vtapes started failing with:

| The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DAILY10.
|
| FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
|   anakin     /var                        lev 3  FAILED [no more holding disk
space]
|   taper: FATAL could not write tapelist: No space left on device
|   taper: FATAL syncpipe_get: r: unexpected EOF

But I don't use a holding disk, and there was plenty of free space on my
vtape partition.

Then I noticed that / was 100% full (except for the reserved blocks for root).
After making sure there was free space on / for ordinary users, Amanda
continued making backups.

So I guess 2.4.5p1 used root privileges to write to /etc, while 2.5.0
falls back to user backup.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds