Amanda-Users

Re: Scalability information sought

2006-05-02 09:47:21
Subject: Re: Scalability information sought
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 15:44:36 +0200
Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 10:45:35AM +0200, Alexander Jolk wrote:

On one of my two site, we have 20TB total disk capacity, of which about 16TB is in use; on two servers, 800GB nightly (two 200GB LTO-2 tapes per server per night); 45 clients, split into about 2200 individual DLEs.

Just a FMI question Alexander,

That is about 50 DLE's per client.
Are you doing that on a per-user basis or something similar?
Are they separate file systems, separate directory trees,
or are you doing the old include/exclude thing?

These 50 DLEs are individual directory trees. When one particular directory gets too big, I split it off into several individual subdirectories, and the root excluding the subdirs. I wrote a small perl script that helps me in splitting up, giving disklist stanzas as follows:

# edge3:/vol/SEQS
edge3   /vol/SEQS/BANK  comp-user-tar 1
edge3   /vol/SEQS/D1    comp-user-tar 1
edge3   /vol/SEQS/F     comp-user-tar 1
edge3   /vol/SEQS/F5    comp-user-tar 1
edge3   /vol/SEQS {
        comp-work-tar
        exclude append "./BANK"
        exclude append "./D1"
        exclude append "./F"
        exclude append "./F5"
        } 1
# end edge3:/vol/SEQS

I'm trying to keep my DLEs below 10GB for most of them, with occasional large ones up to 70GB, on 200GB LTO-2 without hardware compression.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk  * BUF Compagnie * alexj AT buf DOT com
Tel +33-1 42 68 18 28  *  Fax +33-1 42 68 18 29