Amanda-Users

Dumps performed, but also MISSING ???

2006-04-20 13:39:06
Subject: Dumps performed, but also MISSING ???
From: jeffrey d anderson <jdanderson AT lbl DOT gov>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:34:47 -0700
The strange behavior described here started when I upgraded my server to
amanda-2.5.0.  I was wondering if anyone else had seen this behavior:

I run amanda 2.5.0  with a Redhat Linux 9 server attached to an ADIC Scalar 24
changer.

My configuration backs up about 20 clients (mix of linux and SunOS, running
various amanda versions from 2.4.3 to 2.5.0) with about 65 DLEs.  I backup
about 200GB per night with a dumpcycle of  7 days.

This configuration has been successfully running for about  a year, and seems
to still be successful.

So here is the point of this message.  I upgraded the server from amanda
2.4.4p4 to 2.5.0 on March 30 and things appear to be running fine.  Backups
proceed and I've done successful restores.

But In the amanda mail report I get messages like this:

DUMP SUMMARY:
                                          DUMPER STATS                   TAPER
STATS
HOSTNAME     DISK        L    ORIG-kB     OUT-kB  COMP%
client1.here.org /           1      23290       5568   23.9
client1.here.org /             MISSING ------------------------------

client2.here.org -/coldprobe 0   93053120   93053152    --
client2.here.org -/coldprobe   MISSING---------------------

It looks like these dumps have succeeded, but they are ALSO reported as
missing!  Not all DLEs are reported missing, and the "MISSING" ones are
different each night (different hosts, different DLEs).  Some nights there
are no "MISSING" entries, some nights there are a couple, some nights there
are five or six.

This started with the upgrade to amanda-2.5.0 on the server.  No changes were
made to the disklist at that time.  I thought perhaps I had duplicate entries
in the disklist file, and amanda's handling of them had changed, but that
does not appear to be the case.

Is this something I should be worried about?  Has anyone else seen this
behavior?

Jeffrey Anderson                        | jdanderson AT lbl DOT gov
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory   |
Office: 50A-5104E                       | Mailstop 50A-5101
Phone: 510 486-4208                     | Fax: 510 486-6808