Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and localhost definition?

2006-04-12 07:48:25
Subject: Re: Amanda and localhost definition?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:42:17 +0200
On 2006-04-12 12:27, stan wrote:
Again, I've never done that in the past. I've just made ceratin that the amanda
user exists,
and done the build/make install as root. Permissions have alwasy been fine.

Having sad that, I'll rebuild the whole thing today using FQDB's, and building
as amanda, then
installing as root.

It is not important as who you build  -- root is no problem (but
security minded sysadmins avoid doing things as root unless needed).
But the "make install" should be done as root.

Then subsequently, you should not RUN the program as root (except amrecover, which should be run as root), because when running the first time, Amanda creates some files. When doing that as root - even only once - those files are owned by root instead of the amanda user
and you run into trouble next time.

BTW, speaking of rebuilding amanda, it would be nice if there were a "make
no-overwrite
confgis" option.

"make install" does not install, nor overwrite any config file.
No need to disable that non-existing feature.

I'll bet you lunch this does not fix my problem though. But it's worth a try.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *