Amanda-Users

Re: gnu tar-1.15+ for RHEL4

2006-04-07 14:23:12
Subject: Re: gnu tar-1.15+ for RHEL4
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 14:16:37 -0400
On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 01:04:34PM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:
> 2006/4/7, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>:
> >
> > I'm told that the 1.14 versions from RH, if fresh, have the backported
> > patches that fixed 1.14 so it worked.  I think I'd make a softlink &
> > see if it works.
> >

> Yes the 1.14 fromRH is supposed to work, but I don't see how a symlink
> would resolve the issue ? Or I do not understand what you mean by a
> symlink... a symlink to the 1.14 package named tar-1.15 ? How would
> you create that and how would it fix the problem ???
>
> In any case, installing amanda from source is VERY EASY and you have a
> lot more options that using a pre-packaged RPM and I would siggest the
> OP to to that instead. (And install the latest gnu tar from source as
> well, telling amanda to use the compiled gnu-tar instead with the
> --with-gnu-tar configuration switch...)

When installed in /usr/local, a lot of commands that only
amanda should execute are placed in /usr/local/libexec.
Even the amanda-user shouldn't be running them directly.

I use the libexec directory for an amanda-only copy of
whatever gnutar (calling it amgtar) I want it to use andr
as suggested, configure using the
    --with-gnu-tar=/usr/local/libexec/amgtar
option to tell amanda to use it.

Now I'm free to put whatever I want in /usr/local/libexec/amgtar
and amanda will use it without affecting anything else on
the system.  amgtar can be a new or different version that
when first configured, or could be replaced with a wrapper.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)