Amanda-Users

disk + tape

2006-03-30 19:11:34
Subject: disk + tape
From: "Salvatore Enrico Indiogine" <hindiogine AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:55:02 -0600
I am trying to set up an amanda b/u system here at Texas A&M.   This
would be the first time for me.

I has been suggested to me to use a daily b/u to disk and then weekly
flush to tape.  We have a 8-slot Quantum tape drive.

I have implemented a test case as shown by:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Test_environment_with_virtual_tapes

I have also been reading the documentation.  However, I have no idea
on even how to start putting together this backup scheme.

I suppose I need 2 directories, such as:

/etc/amanda/bu_to_disk/
/etc/amanda/bu_to_tape/

Each with its own amanda.conf and disklist file.   I have several questions.

1. do I need vtapes for b/u to disk?

2. do I use the same disklist for both directories?

3. since the 400G disk is too small for a complete b/u ( about 600G )
I would have to start with a full b/u to tape first. Is that correct?

4. Sincerely, I have no idea on how to make it all fit together.

I hate being so clueless, but I rather use amanda than going out to
buy some commercial software.

Thanks,
Enrico

--