Amanda-Users

Re: tapetype w/compression for a HP Ultrium LTO 1 drive

2006-03-17 12:17:07
Subject: Re: tapetype w/compression for a HP Ultrium LTO 1 drive
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:09:24 -0500
On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 12:00:04PM -0500, Salada, Duncan S (Titan) @ TITAN
enlightened us:
> I'm having trouble getting amtapetype to give me a 200gb tapetype for a HP
> Ultrium LTO 1 drive.  It tells me that hardware compression is on, and I've
> tried using "-e200g" with "-f/dev/rmt/0ubn" and "-f/dev/rmt/0cbn" in
> desperation.  But it still will only give me the 100gb tapetype:
>
> define tapetype Ultrium_I-HP_C7145_233S {
>     comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression on)"
>     length 100864 mbytes
>     filemark 0 kbytes
>     speed 14228 kps
> }
>
> I'm using amanda-2.4.5p1 on Solaris 10.  I've searched around for a while but
> I've found nothing.  Any hints/explanations would be greatly appreciated.

An LTO 1 tape will only hold 100GB of data, period. 200GB is marketing hype
for what they think you can get pre-compression. If you are going to use
hardware compression, you'll just have to guess how compressible your data
is and adjust the length accordingly. Might take some experimenting to find
the right amount.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak