Amanda-Users

Installation Configuration: disk definitions & general questions

2006-03-16 04:28:42
Subject: Installation Configuration: disk definitions & general questions
From: "Peter Farrell" <peter.d.farrell AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:23:47 +0000
Hi all:

Env - Fedora Core 4
Amanda Version: amanda-2.4.5p1
============================
I'm using a test platform that consist of an intranet server (VEGA)
and my test pc (SSPC020) *both running FC4. The intranet server is the
master host, using the vtapes configuration as set out in Chapt
13:File-Driver. This went nicely. Everything is labeled and ready to
roll. All files, dir's and permissions are solid.

As a test I want to backup the /etc - /tmp - /home on each machine.

Running amcheck:
[amanda@vega sbin]$ ./amcheck misc_backups
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /home/data/amanda/dumps: 214171628 KB disk space
available, using 214069228 KB
amcheck-server: slot 25: date X        label misc_backups25 (new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape misc_backups25 label ok
NOTE: info dir /usr/local/amanda/var/logs/archive/curinfo: does not exist
NOTE: it will be created on the next run.
NOTE: index dir /usr/local/amanda/var/logs/archive/index: does not exist
NOTE: it will be created on the next run.
Server check took 0.177 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: sspc020.scarceskills.com: [Can't open exclude file
'/home/exclude.gtar': No such file or directory]
ERROR: sspc020.scarceskills.com: [can not read/write
/usr/local/amanda/var/gnutar-lists/.: No such file or directory]
WARNING: vega.scarceskills.com: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 30.470 seconds, 3 problems found

The /home no exclude.gtar is on purpose - I'll set that up in a minute
- which brings my to my first question:

When using exclude lists - what does that format of that file look
like? Is it the same as using the 'T' option w/ tar? Or does the list
have to have regex expressions?
Can one use an 'include' list rather than an 'exclude' list?
I've tried just doing and 'ls > exclude.gtar' and then deleting the
things I want backed up. Should they be space seperated values? Tabs?
Comma seperated? A per-line listing? (Again - I'd prefer and whitelist
rather than a blacklist)

What is the correct syntax to use when setting the exclude list in the
dumptype?
I've seen folks using "$path/exclude.list" or "./exclude.list" etc.
If you use it with no preceding 'dot' or 'slash' I assume it will look
in the root directory of whatever is defined in the disklist?

In the .amandahosts file:
I see in my 'amcheck' that it's connecting and communicating to get
that first line of output back - but how is xinetd meant to see the
localhost?
You want a FQDN right? Then the 'amanda' username?
So for the master host it should just be:
----------------------
localhost amanda      ## Will xinetd 'see' this and connect to the
correct port with
                                  ## this format?
----------------------
Then on each client, you'd only put in the master host name right?
----------------------
vega.ourdomain.com amanda
----------------------

When using 'client' compression - is this strictly done on the local
machine? I'd read in the 'Unix Backup and Recovery' that this might be
'spread over' all the clients?

>From Amanda.conf:
define dumptype global {
    comment "Global definitions"
    index yes
    record no
}
# full backup (0) w/ tar every time
define dumptype full_dump {
    global
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "full dump[0] with tar"
    compress client best
    exclude list "exclude.gtar"
    priority low
    dumpcycle 0
}
# incremental backup (1) w/ tar (Amanda will schedule the full dump day itself)
define dumptype incr_dump {
    global
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "incremental dump[1]  with tar"
    compress client best
    exclude list "exclude.gtar"
    priority low
}

>From disklist:
# SSPC020
sspc020.ourdomain.com        /etc    incr_dump
sspc020.ourdomain.com        /tmp    incr_dump
sspc020.ourdomain.com        /home   full_dump
# VEGA
vega.ourdomain.com   /etc            incr_dump -1 local
vega.ourdomain.com   /tmp            incr_dump -1 local
vega.ourdomain.com   /home/peter     full_dump -1 local

Thanks very much for any input.
It's fun  - but the learning curve feels similar to Nagios at this
point. (aka 'fiddly' :-)
-Peter Farrell
Cardiff, Wales - UK