Amanda-Users

Re: hardware gzip accelerator cards

2006-03-11 10:07:43
Subject: Re: hardware gzip accelerator cards
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 10:03:53 -0500
On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 02:17:50PM +0100, Kai Zimmer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> has anybody on the list experience with hardware gzip accelerator cards
> (e.g. form indranetworks)? Are they of any use for amanda - or is the
> disk-i/o the limiting factor? And how much are those (generally
> pci-based) cards?

Had not heard of such a beast.
Did a simple google, found another one from ?Comtech? at aha.com.
If I read the two pages correctly, indranetwork claims 450MB/sec
while aha claims 3000MB/sec.

Seems like they supply an alternative gzip, "ahagzip",
that interfaces to their hardware driver.

I suspect you would have to either replace gzip with their
version, or recompile amanda pointing it to the accelerated
version of gzip.  If you go the latter route I'd do the
recompile with a configure pointing to a standin for either,
like /usr/local/libexec/amgzip.  It could start out being
a simple copy of /bin/gzip til certain amanda was working.
Then replace it with the accelerated version for testing.

I'll bet you could contact the companies and tell them you
are a contributer to the amanda mailing list.  That you would
like to do an evaluation of their product to confirm its
value and suitability for use in amanda installations.  Promise
to write an evaluation that you will publish one the list and
that you will forward to them a copy.

Gee Kai, I'd like for you to be a guinea pig for the list :))

jl

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)