Amanda-Users

Re: holding disk when using HD backup ?

2006-03-07 16:26:21
Subject: Re: holding disk when using HD backup ?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 16:22:25 -0500
On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 03:41:19PM -0500, FM wrote:
> Sorry if I was no clear enough :-)
>
> My setup :
> 1 amanda server with virtual tape (hard disk)
> 20 remote clients
>
> My problems : my server is overloaded during the backup. I suppose that
> I can play with those parameters to  reduce the load :
> compress parameter should be client and not on amanda server

That is "could" not "should" :)
Also consider compress "fast" if you are using "best".
Still get a lot of compression for much less cpu usage.

> reduce inparallel (now 10)
> reduce maxdumps (now 4)

IIRC, there is a parameter to specify a start time for a DLE.
Perhaps you could stagger your clients so only a few are
dumping at the same time.

Make sure the spindle(s) for the holding disk do not contain
any DLEs that might be getting backed up at the same time.
The holding disk should be relatively unused.  If you must
backup some part of the drive containing the holding disk,
then for those DLEs specify no holding disk and let them
go directly to {v}tape.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)